What is IPL hair reduction and how does it work?
Intense Pulsed light is attracted to the dark pigment in your hair follicles. The light heats the follicle to a high temperature, causing the blood supply to the follicle to cease, thus preventing future hair growth.
What to expect
- Because treated follicles have been heated, the area may swell sometimes for a day or so. Swelling results from heat, not infection, and is therefore normal and expected
- Crusts can occasionally form in some spots. Again, this does not mean infection and does not mean the area will scar. Do not pick at the crusting.
- You may notice dead hair surfacing for 2-3 weeks after treatment. Although this may appear to be new growth it’s not. This process is called purging or shedding and will take time to complete.
Prior to Treatment
- Check with your doctor if you have health concerns or are taking any medications
- Do not wax or tweeze for four weeks prior to your treatment
- Shave the area prior to your treatment, leaving a small patch of hair for your therapist to access colour and thickness in order to achieve best results.
Potential Side Effects
Redness/Swelling- Anti- histamines and cold packs can be used to reduce swelling
Skin Tone Changes – Skin can become lighter or darker which is influenced by skin exposure & darker skin types
Crusting, Blistering, Scabs, Itchiness- These side effects are highly unlikely if pre and post care instructions are followed
- Wear protective eyewear
- Clinician may mark the area to be treated
- A thin layer of conductive gel will be applied
- A cold sensation initially will be felt, this is from the inbuilt cooling, then a sensation similar to a flick of a elastic band or hot pin prick will be felt
- Treated area will feel like mild sunburn for 1-4 hours post treatment. The application of a chilled post treatment gel and ice pack will help soothe the area
- Void sun exposure throughout your course of treatments. If the areas does become exposed to the sun, ensure it is protected with a high quality sunscreen.
- Soothe the area post-treatment with a high quality moisturiser
- Don’t tweeze or pull hairs, the will naturally fall out
- Exfoliate three days after your treatment with an exfoliating mitt.
- Don’t expose the treated area to the sun or sunbeds for the duration of your IPL treatment schedule
- Avoid excessive exercise and sweating after your treatment to avoid irritation
- Don’t use AHA’s or retinol on the treatment area for three days before and after your treatment
- Avoid swimming in chlorinated water for 24hrs after your IPL treatment
- Attending all treatments at the regular intervals and sticking to the schedule advised by your therapist will maximise your benefits of IPL permanent hair reduction